Sunday, July 5, 2009

Foodies Confined Road Trip #2 = Schools Out for Summer



Where: Winthrop, WA population 349
Distance: 256 scenic miles from Pullman/Moscow area
Kid Friendly: Children welcome despite being a brewery

So after a 250+ mile drive into north-central Washington this blogger rolled into Winthrop, WA with about an hour to kill before I could meet up with the rest of the group I was camping with over the 4th of July Weekend. So I parked the car and wandered the main drag of Winthrop, WA and at one end found just the place to kill an hour if one finds themselves in the Methow Valley and in need of sustenance, the Old Schoolhouse Brewery

The owner, Kasey Rudd was behind the bar and quickly served me a newer beer of theirs, which was a stout that included coffee from a local coffee house in it. A delicious mix of dark beer and just the right hint of coffee was the glorious result of this stout which is pictured below. I also got a Hot Shot burger which was a Kobe Beef patty with grilled jalapenos, sweet onion, blue cheese and came with a side of Sweet Potato fries. An excellent combination of sweet and spicy that I will be utilizing in my own cooking as soon as I get a chance. Needless to say this was a great end to a long drive and a great start to vacation in the North Cascades. When in Winthrop one should also stop by Sheri's Sweet Shop which has homemade candies and delicious homemade ice creams (I recommend the Huckleberry ice cream).



No comments:

Post a Comment